}

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Transformers: Age of Extinction - Movie Review


Hello! Today, I'll be reviewing the film, Transformers: Age of Extinction! I'm really excited to watch this film, since I wasn't able to watch it in theaters and on Rotten Tomatoes, the film has been pretty much neglected at 18% (Rotten). But that won't stop me from watching it! 

This is my first movie review on my blog, which was posted yesterday, and I cannot wait to do more in the future! But in the meantime, I'll be setting out a couple of things on here before reviewing it.
Transformers: Age of Extinction is the fourth movie in the Transformers franchise and apparently, it's a reboot! The story takes place, 5 years after the devastating Battle of Chicago (which happened in Transformers: Dark of the Moon) and humanity is apparently scared or frightened of the Autobots, calling them a threat. The story then evolves around an inventor, Cade Yeager (Wahlberg) when he buys an old truck and after examining it, he believes that it is a Transformer. The truck awakes and Cade finds out that the truck turns out to be Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots. And along the way, a bounty hunter arrives from a different world and is set upon a task to track down/target the Autobots and destroy them. 

If you've seen all three movies, you would know what to expect in a Transformers movie. Explosions, More Explosions, Comedy and Booty Shots. I really get the sense of where Michael Bay wanted Age of Extinction's path to go to. And surely, it's on the right track! It felt as if the fourth film was darker and more serious, than the other three! Throughout the viewing, I never stood up and left or distracted myself with other things, I kept my eyes throughout the screen, whole. Though, the only problem I have with the film is the extensive usage of comedy, slow-motion and the first 15 minutes (approximately). 


In the beginning, we meet Cade Yeager's friend, Lucas (T.J. Miller) and literally, his character seems to bother me in a way. It felt as if the comedic side was being a little let-down and obviously, the first three were filled with comedy. The usage of slow-motion was, by a bit, a little over the top. For example, a racing car slams into a guy's face in slow-motion, we get to see all the saliva gushing out and, pretty much the impact that took upon the guy's face.  The first 15 minutes was a slow start and there was a lot of character development, mood and story to settle in a 1 hour and 65 min movie. It became a little boring but soon or later, the film picked up its pace and ran smoothly.

The film score is brilliantly epic and just absolutely perfect! Especially when Optimus Prime reunites with the Autobots again. The track 'Autobots Reunite' on the Transformers: Age of Extinction (Original Motion Picture Score) felt like a retribution or follow-up to the original theme song on the first score, but better. It pretty much gave me the goosebumps! It was awesome! 

The visual effects and sound effects in the film were enormously awesome and loud! (of course, it's a Transformers movie!) At first, I didn't know who was in charge of the sound design, until I found out that Skrillex contributed to the film, and oh boy! Skrillex sure did really increase the intensity of the film! Explosions shooting everywhere from left to right on the Bose Surround Sound System, and the Autobots crashing and transforming from the center speaker to the two sides. I was pretty speechless at the time! All I could say is that the whole thing was epic and overall, the film is enjoyable and one hell of a ride!
To sum up my review of whether or not to recommend this film as a must-watch, Transformers: Age of Extinction is just another Transformers movie with new changes and the old. The story line is plotted out well, but suffers throughout the way when delivering it. The visual effects are gorgeous and extremely well-made, and the sound effects are super loud to fulfill every fans expectations. Michael Bay really did bring his all into the fourth film and I actually enjoyed it. I would probably say that it is better than the first film. If you are a fan of the Transformers films, this film will succeed your expectations! To newcomers or movie-lovers who are wanting the pleasure to view this film, give it a try! 

RATING: 3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment